Making a claim isn’t a process most people are familiar with. Here’s a step-by-step guide as to what will happen next:
- Contact Richard Meggitt by email or call 0114 2678780. He will require a copy of the tenancy and evidence of the payment of the deposit.
- Richard will then assess the merits of your claim and provide free written advice.
- If there are reasonable prospects we will offer a no win no fee agreement. If the claim fails there will be no charge, we will fund the claim throughout and pay for disbursements such as court fees. If the claim succeeds we will deduct 30% plus vat from the damages recovered.
- We will send a claim form to the landlord or their agents. They will have 21 days to admit the claim.
- If liability is admitted then we negotiate a monetary settlement on your behalf, subject to your instructions. This will be between 1 and 3 times the initial deposit. If we can’t agree the amount we will ask a court to assess the amount of damages.
- If a settlement is reached then your damages will be paid to us and we will deduct the success fee and send you the balance.
- If liability is denied by your landlord or their agent they should set out their reasons why.
- If there remains reasonable prospects of success or they are silent we will issue court proceedings on your behalf. A judge will then assess whether the landlord is in breach and if so the amount of your damages. Payment must be made within 21 days.
To make a tenancy deposit claim please contact Richard Meggitt email@example.com
Landline: 0114 267 8780 Freephone: 0800 163 622